The test drive is one of the most important moments in the process of buying a used car, because it’s the moment when you get to find out whether it's really the car for you. This is the point where you can spot any possible problems with the car, test its driving performance, and learn what it feels like to sit behind its wheel.
Here are some tips for getting the most out of your test drive:
- Before you start driving the used car, take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with all of the controls on the dashboard. Don't wait until you get on the road to do this—you don't want to be struggling to find an important control in the middle of traffic. Adjust your seat until you're comfortable, and make sure every control is within easy reach.
- Be on your best driving behavior. Remember that this isn't your car yet! Drive defensively and don't take chances. Check your windshield visibility and look for any blind spots.
- Go for a varied driving route. Don't just drive up and down a few local streets, because that won't give you any idea of how the car handles in other environments. How does this used car handle speed bumps? Does it merge onto freeways smoothly? Is it easy to park?
- Evaluate the car's performance on the road. Is the steering responsive and confident? Does it accelerate smoothly? Does it brake well? Be alert to any possible trouble signs. Keep your ears open for engine noise, rattling, or squeaking.
- Take a close look at the car's interior. Are the seats comfortable, with sufficient leg room for your passengers? Is the cargo space roomy enough?
At MyCarman, a used car dealership serving the Arlington, Texas area, we pride ourselves on the quality and professionalism of our service. We have a great selection of used cars (including used luxury cars), used BMWs, used trucks and SUVs, and used sport cars for you to peruse. When you're looking for a used car, we're the perfect choice for you.